- Omar Alfehri, Saudi Arabia
Psychology with a concentration in Human Services
Know yourself. Understand others. If the science of the mind is intriguing to you, there is a great need in today’s world for careers in human services or social work. Get an interdisciplinary grounding at TU in psychology and sociology through studies in community processes, drug addictions and sciences of the mind.
The Human Services Concentration offers an applied psychological and interdisciplinary understanding of personal and social problems often encountered in contemporary society, and it is designed primarily for students who intend to pursue careers in psychological and social service related fields. Through its combination of coursework, internship, and self-directed study, this program prepares students for immediate employment in a wide variety of helping professions, and serves as a foundation for admission to applied graduate study in the mental health and community service related fields.
Ohio Police Officer Training Academy (OPOTA)
To be a sworn police officer in Ohio, you must successfully complete the Ohio Police Officer Training Academy (OPOTA). Tiffin University partners with Terra State Community College to include the cost of the academy in tuition and can be earned in just one semester.
This unique training academy is state mandated for all police officers and covers firearms, legal administration, human relations, traffic, patrol, driving, subject control, investigations, civil disorder, physical conditioning and other aspects of law enforcement. Students apply direct, hands-on practice in the crime lab, firing range and police cruisers. With experienced, certified instructors and hands-on application, our students consistently achieve passing rates on the state-certified exam.
Once graduates of the program earn the certification, they are immediately eligible for full-time employment.
“Tiffin University gave me my best friend and pushed me to my highest potential. The OPOTA program put me ahead in the hiring process and my bachelor’s degree set me apart from other candidates.”
Hometown: Marion, Ohio
Graduation: Spring, 2019
Major: Bachelor of Criminal Justice in Law Enforcement
Position: Police Officer with the City of Marysville Division of Police
Psychology Core 36 hours
Human Services Concentration 24 hours
- FOR423 Case Management
- FOR430 Crisis Intervention
- PSY269 Human Sexuality
- PSY360 Introduction to Counseling
- SCS450 Human Services Capstone
- SCS470 Internship I
- Two of the following:
- COM130 Human, Interpersonal and Small Group Communication
- COR420 Agency Management
- FOR365 Drugs and Society
- FOR485 Death and Dying
- PSY390 Special Topics
- PSY425 Cross-Cultural and International Psychology
- PSY440 Comparative Psychotherapies and Therapeutic Techniques
- PSY445 Psychometrics
- SCS471 Internship II
- SOC310 Sociology of the Family
- SOC320 Community Sociology
- SOC361 Sociology of Gender
- FOR, CSL, or PSY 200-400 level course (approved by instructor)
Total BA hours 121-123
This is a sample course sequence to illustrate course offerings for this major. Consult the official Academic Bulletin for detailed registration and advising information.
On Campus - Offered in a 15-week semester format with start dates of January and August
Online - Offered in two terms per semester starting in January, March, May, July, August and October
Crisis Intervention (FOR430) - Focuses on the theory and practice of intervention in various acute situations common in work with criminal justice clients, e.g., domestic violence, suicide threat/attempt, physical or sexual abuse, and acute chemical dependency episodes.
Human Sexuality (PSY269) - Examines physiology of human sexuality as well as psychosocial aspects of the field. Considers sexual orientation, sexual dysfunction and paraphilia, sex therapy, theories of attraction, and current research.
Lifespan Development (PSY265) - This course takes a life span approach in studying human development from conception through death. Students will examine the major theories and scientific research findings on our physical, cognitive, social and personality development.
- Addictions or Mental Health Case Manager
- Adoption Agencies
- Child Development Specialist
- Community Organizer
- Cultural-Diversity Trainer
- Drug & Alcohol Rehabilitation Centers
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Foster Care Organizations
- Graduate School
- Head Start Programs
- Hospice Centers
- International Organizations
- Mental Health Organizations
- Nursing Homes
- Program Evaluator
- Psychoeducational Specialist
- Research and People-Oriented Jobs in the Criminal Justice and Business Fields (e.g. Human Resources)
- Residential Manager of Group Homes
- Social Services Coordinator
- Victim Services Organizations
While it is extremely competitive to obtain such appointments, TU alumni have gone on to careers in these agencies:
- Cuyahoga County
- Mercy Health
- New Directions Behavioural Health
- Offender Aid and Restoration of Arlington County, Inc
Have a Question?