Obtaining a Social Security Number

Students who obtain employment, whether it is on campus or off-campus (in the form of an internship for CPT, or pre- or post-completion OPT), will need to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

The SSN is required for employers to report wages to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Only students who obtain employment are eligible to apply for a SSN.

What to Take

  • Application for a Social Security Card
  • 2 Letters from PDSO confirming:
    • Nature of your employment (your supervisor will need to sign this letter)
    • Current school status (PDSO will sign this letter)
  • I-20
  • I-94
  • Passport

Where to Go

There are SSA offices in both Findlay and Fremont. Most students choose to go to the Findlay location. The information for the Findlay location is:

1720 E. Melrose Ave.
Findlay, OH 45840
(877) 628-6548


  • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
  • Wednesday: 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM



Contact: International Affairs
Phone: (419) 448-3287
Office: Welcome Center (see Campus Map)