A Practical Education For Real Impact In The Law Enforcement Field
The law enforcement profession in the United States confronts some of the most difficult problems and issues that any nation can experience as it provides public safety services to our citizens. The Tiffin University Bachelor of Criminal Justice (BCJ) degree with a major in Law Enforcement provides you with the necessary foundation for successful employment and practice. At TU you will receive an innovative academic and practical education in the law, the behavioral sciences, and the political process.
Balancing Public Order & Individual Liberty
Successful baccalaureate degree graduates in law enforcement must comprehend the mission, structure, goals, and operations of police agencies at the local, state and federal levels in a democratic society. The prevention, repression and control of crime in America requires that law enforcement agents appreciate the critical role they play in balancing public order and individual liberty. Tiffin University’s education provides you with the background and real-world experience to meet this challenge.
What You Can Expect From Your TU Law Enforcement Degree:
- Graduates will be able to describe the four major features of the law enforcement officer role in American society.
- Graduates will be able to explain the main components of community policing.
- Graduates will be able to describe key ethical and legal dilemmas associated with the police role.
- Graduates will be able to critically evaluate by means of written and oral communication the quality of a major criminal investigation involving crimes against persons, property, technology, and the environment.
- Graduates will be able to identify violations of criminal law and assess the correct, constitutional procedures for investigation.
- Graduates will be able to evaluate criminalistic behaviors and patterns.
- Graduates will be familiar with the special process applicable to juveniles within the criminal justice system.
- Graduates will be able to identify and understand the applicability of relevant computer systems used in the profession.
- Graduates will demonstrate applied theory and learned knowledge through practical application in the field.
Ohio Police Officer Training Academy (OPOTA)
To be a sworn police officer in Ohio, you must successfully complete the Ohio Police Officer Training Academy (OPOTA). Tiffin University partners with Terra State Community College to include the cost of the academy in tuition and can be earned in just one semester.
This unique training academy is state mandated for all police officers and covers firearms, legal administration, human relations, traffic, patrol, driving, subject control, investigations, civil disorder, physical conditioning and other aspects of law enforcement. Students apply direct, hands-on practice in the crime lab, firing range and police cruisers. With experienced, certified instructors and hands-on application, our students consistently achieve passing rates on the state-certified exam.
Once graduates of the program earn the certification, they are immediately eligible for full-time employment.
“Tiffin University gave me my best friend and pushed me to my highest potential. The OPOTA program put me ahead in the hiring process and my bachelor’s degree set me apart from other candidates.”
Hometown: Marion, Ohio
Graduation: Spring, 2019
Major: Bachelor of Criminal Justice in Law Enforcement
Position: Police Officer with the City of Marysville Division of Police