Practical Travel Information

Check with your Health Insurance provider to be sure you are covered.  In addition, when you purchase an International Student I.D. card, health insurance may be included.  Some of the programs require students to take the health insurance deemed most appropriate for that country and location.  Students will be automatically billed for this along with, or included in, other direct program expenses.  Some countries will require proof of coverage before issuing a visa or permit.

·It is probably best to purchase your International Student I.D. Card before you leave the U.S. (though it can be done at Regent’s).  Provide a copy of your card to the Director of Study Abroad Programs at T.U.  There is more than one International Student ID Card.  They all provide travel discounts, but not all provide health insurance.  Carefully read and compare coverage and discounts to determine which might be the best for you.


ISE Card        


·If you take a laptop, be sure you know just exactly what you need to do to convert the voltage.  Any Apple product will be fine, but you will need an adapter.  You will need to be very careful with other computer makes.

·If you are taking any medication or making regular visits to a physician or counselor be sure you maintain this routine while abroad.  Talk to your physician about taking enough of your medication to last while you are gone.  Once you arrive at your host college, talk with someone in Student Services regarding ongoing physician or counselor visits.

·Prescriptions medications should be packed in your carry on bags and NOT in baggage you will be checking through.  And, take prescription medications with you when traveling away from campus.  Take copies of the written prescription.

·Over the counter medications that you usually take, may not be easily recognizable.  The names, brands, labels may be different.  The list of ingredients may also appear different.  If you are not sure what you should be taking, ask the pharmacist for assistance. 

·Toiletries and personal items are easily found when traveling.  You don’t need to stock up on your favorite kind of deodorant.  Chances are you will find it wherever you are (or, at least  something similar).

·Electrical appliances such as hairdryers, curling irons and CD players are a bit tricky.   Don’t count on a converter working for you.  It may work for curling iron and not for a hair dryer. Best advice is to buy or borrow appliances designed for travel or purchase new items when you are there.  If your appliance has a standard US plug you will need an adapter. Remember that the electric outlets on the continent are different from those in England and Ireland and you will need different adaptersAdapters can be purchased at Radio Shack or any store that sells travel applieances.

·Pack light!  Take only the clothing you will absolutely need, mix and match items are best.  Take something nice in case you have to dress up for an event.  All prior participants say they would have taken less clothing and other items.  They didn’t need all they took.

·Take some good walking shoes. Walking is the very best way to see the cities of Europe.  Europeans won’t think you’re odd if you walk everywhere. 

·Take or purchase a small backpack suitable for weekend travel.  You’ll want to be able to hop on and off trains and buses with ease.  This backpack can double as your carry on item when you leave from and return to the U.S.

·Yes, there are pickpockets in all large European cities.  Just use common sense.  Women may want a small purse that hangs around the neck.  Men may want to have their wallet and passport in a front inside breast pocket.  Don’t carry too much cash at a time. You might divide it and carry it in two different spots on your person.  Keep travelers’ check receipts separate from your checks.  Keep backpacks and bags very close at hand or opportunists will pick them up.